Raising Awareness for Breast Cancer


“We’re ‘Running the Race’ Together”
By Jeff Yosick

Have you ever attended a major sporting event, maybe a professional baseball or football game? While you were sitting in there taking in the game and scenery did you ever think about the other thousands of people that were also seated in the stadium, or arena? People of different gender, age, race, size, shape, but they were all together in that very moment taking part in the same thing, sharing their passion for their favorite teams.

During the fall of 2004 my Mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. Amidst her battle I researched and then encouraged members of our family to join me in an event to show our support to Mom and other women and families afflicted with the disease. The event was called “Race for the Cure” and there were four of us that took part in the race that spring of 2005. By spring of 2006 we had decided to make an effort to make the event a yearly tradition in our family and the number from our family increased to eleven, which included my Mother.

After being a participant with “Race for the Cure” for those couple of years it has made me realize how truly special the event is. Very much like a stadium full of people sharing a moment while cheering on their favorite team, there are literally thousands of people from all walks of life that line up on race day for the same cause, to raise awareness and funds for a cure to breast cancer.

To put into words the emotions that I’ve experienced while taking part in the “Race for the Cure” would be next to impossible. The single moment continually replays in my mind is seeing my Mom cross the finish line last year. When each breast cancer survivor participating in the “Race for the Cure” crosses the line their names are announced over the public address system. To know everything that she went through with her battle and to see her that day will be something I’ll never forget.

Rain Publishing Inc. released my children’s book titled “Running the Race.” This is a book that was inspired by the events of my Mother’s own battle with breast cancer, along with my family’s involvement in the “Race for the Cure.”
The book is aimed to help children who have loved ones stricken with the disease. It can serve as an educational tool to help them to better understand what happens throughout the diagnosis and battle of the disease. More importantly, it is my hope that the book will be an inspiration and motivation to everyone that turns its pages.

I would invite you to pick up a copy of “Running the Race” when it is released in April. Whenever a copy of “Running the Race” is purchased, Rain Publishing Inc. will be donating $1 of every book sold toward breast cancer. To find out more information on the book and to drop me any questions you might have, please visit my blog on the web titled “Running the Race” at http://jyosick.blogspot.com/

Author Jeff Yosick’s book “Running the Race” released by Rain Publishing Inc. Ask for your copy at a local bookstore near you, or visit http://www.rainbooks.com/ for more information.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff is a wonderful author, he came to my child's school, his stories are ones I enjoy reading to my younger children as well, and can not wait for more of his children's books.