How to Get Out of Your Comfort Zone?

How to Get Out of Your Comfort Zone?
Don’t give yourself any other choice…

By Krissy Brady

I’ve always wanted to be a full-time writer—literally since I was six years old I have pictured a life of manuscripts, publishers, and book tours.
Now that it is actually happening, I am ecstatic, though terrified at the same time. When I was six, I lead a cushioned existence. As I got older, fears and complexes started to set in—self-consciousness, the need to find and establish a status for myself, and of course the dreaded comfort zone that has always been difficult for me to shrug off.
I think the biggest fear of anyone when trying to establish their dream career is the fact that once it becomes your reality, there is no escape. When I was working towards what I currently have, the thought of reaching this ultimate end result would always help to take me away from my current reality, one I wasn’t entirely satisfied with, yet knew I would be eventually.
There is no escape now, but I wouldn’t want it any other way. My problem has become the lack of understanding from those who, while they are close to me, are not able to relate to my endless need for writing industry success. Until they know what it’s like to sacrifice everything for what they want, and the sacrifices that come with keeping it, there will always be a barrier in our conversations.
I have met too many people who settle, and sometimes have a hard time understanding why they choose a comfort zone instead of their ultimate end result. When I left my job to work at home full-time, I was looked at like I was crazy: why would I leave a steady job? A guaranteed income? A defined existence?
I left my steady job, guaranteed income, and defined existence because that’s all it is: an existence. I want an identity. I want to contribute. I don’t want to be told what I can and cannot do. Basically, I don’t want to be stifled, and I want to work hard towards influencing others to do the same. If you don’t give yourself any other choice but to be who you really are, and not who you think you should be, there is no greater satisfaction. The sacrifice is always worth the ultimate end result.

About Krissy BradyKrissy
Brady is a freelance writer residing in Gravenhurst, Ontario, Canada. She is the editor-in-chief of Brady Magazine, an online writer's trade directory dedicated to putting writers on the map. She is also a poet, whose book Tidal Wave (Rain Publishing, October 2006).This article is free to publish as long as it is kept completely in tact.

No comments: