Promote, Promote, Promote

Self Promotion
By Tilly Rivers

I have been often asked how did you do it? How did you sale 100,000 copies of your last novel?

Of course, me being me, I smile and tell them I am extremely talented!

Reality is though, my old publishing copy did not sell the novels, we did it together, because I knew the secret to success, for you see a publisher can sing your praises, a publisher will promote, promote and promote, they invest not only the money into your novel your promotion and your marketing but into you. The time and finance to make you, to make your novel shine.

At least this is Rain Publishing’ working ethics.

However the ‘best’ advocate for my novels was me.
No one will be as passionate and excited about my accomplishments as I am. No one will be able to promote that passion, that driving desire, no matter how good they are, as well as I can.

My secret:

“Do something to promote your book and yourself everyday!”

So I am challenging you…are you doing something to promote yourself today?


First rule of promotion is to talk about your work to anyone and everyone. ALL THE TIME!

Use msn? Tell them about you’re an author
On chat lines? Belong to on line groups? Tell them you’re an author
Member of a club, organization or volunteer? Spread the good word; tell them that you are an author!

Shy? Time to get over it. While sitting in the doctors office or waiting for a bus, an easy opener in small talk is simply “What do you do for a living?”
Listen to their answer
What do you think will happen next?
You guessed it, they will ask you.

While you are shopping for groceries, shoes or undies ask the staff how long they have been working at the establishment.
Listen to their answer.
Ask them if they like their career.
Listen to their answer.
What do you think will happen next?
You guessed it, they will ask you.

Do you have business cards made up?
The business cards should clearly state your name, AUTHOR, and contact information. For privacy protection, please use the authors@rainbooks.com email and the RP telephone number.

Please for your own safety: NEVER give out personal information on business cards!

Because you have business cards made up and ALWAYS on you (from pockets to cases), you can give them your card.

The result, they will ‘check you out” on the website, I call this the curiosity factor.
Do not be surprised the next time you see that same person they approach you and tell you they have either purchased your novel, or went on the website to see your bio.

How many people do they know? How many people do you think they have told?
This is the beginning of market demand!

Word of mouth marketing. Easy hmmm?

Remember the rule of seven. Seven exposures results in a 95% rate of 1 sale.

The key is consistency.

Make it easy for people to find you. Every email sent out to friends and family should have a small tag on the bottom, letting them know about your book and where it can be found.

We all get, and have passed on those annoying chain emails that say we need to pass this on to ten people or else. Why not use them to promote you?

Do not be scared that people will be saying you are ‘bragging’ there is a big difference between ‘vanity’ and self promotion and branding.

I am proud of my accomplishments. If a mom can brag about baby George until she is pink in the cheeks, I can brag about baby book “X” until my cheeks are pink too!

No comments: