The Houseguest That Never Seems to Leave

The Houseguest That Never Seems to Leave
By Krissy Brady

I decided to have what I thought would be a relaxing shower today, and was greeted by a spider the size of my fist. I’m not the type of girl who is interested in familiarizing herself with the various types of household bugs, so I’ll do my best to describe the spider to you: it’s the one that an entire can of Raid won’t get rid of. It’s the one that no matter how many times you smash your shampoo bottle against it, there it is, pointing and laughing at you. It’s the spider that pretends to curl up and die as soon as you spot it, like I would be so stupid as to fall for that one…again.

To be honest I don’t know which is worse: the gigantic spiders, or the really tiny ones that you at first mistake for lint. Either way, it takes me a solid hour after getting rid of it before I start to feel safe in my own home again, and slowly begin to peel myself off the ceiling.

It’s embarrassing really—I consider myself to be very level-headed, yet the sight of a spider, or any bug for that matter, turns me into a screaming five year-old. I don’t think they’re going to do anything to harm me (obviously), I just think they are completely disgusting, and I don’t find there is anything good about finding a bug in my apartment. I’m a girl who keeps a very clean home, and the fact that a revolting bug of any kind would welcome itself into my home is just plain insulting.

They become the houseguest that never seems to leave. You think you have a moment to yourself, but not a chance: there’s something crawling on your kitchen counter, or something flying around your living room, running into every wall. I’ve often wondered actually how long before the bug realizes it’s impossible to go through a closed window?
I can handle my own just fine—I’ll only begin feeling real concern towards them when they start coming in with little suitcases.

About Krissy BradyKrissy Brady is a freelance writer residing in Gravenhurst, Ontario, Canada. She is the editor-in-chief of Brady Magazine, an online writer’s trade directory dedicated to putting writers on the map. She is also a poet, whose book Tidal Wave is currently in production (Rain Publishing http://www.rainbooks.com/ ).

This article is free to publish as long as it is kept completely in tact

No comments: