Ask the Author: LP Chase

If there is a question you would like answered? Visit L.P.'s Website at: www.lpchasebooks.com

Q: Is LP Chase a pen name?
A: Yes it is. Because of my very long, Italian name, friends gradually began to call me by my initals. It started to grow on me and eventually the nickname "LP" stuck. Additionally, while I was growing up, my mother was a very strong inspirational force in my life. She always encouraged me to "chase my dreams" and never give up on my goals. She believed if you wanted something badly enough, you could achieve it with hard work, perseverence and patience. When my mother passed away, I decided to use "Chase" as my my pen name, both as a tribute to my mother, and a reminder to always "Chase my dreams." That's how LP Chase came to be.

A young fan, Dominick from Bayshore, NY conducts an interview with LP Chase:

Dominick: What is your favorite part of The Backyard Treasure?

LP CHASE: My favorite part is when Elliot, Jake and Cassie go down to the dungeon through the "freaky secret mini door." I laugh at Jake all the time in situations like that. He can be very funny when he's scared.

Dominick: If you wrote a sequel, what would you name the book?

LP CHASE: I'm working on it right now. The title is "Elliot Stone and the Mystery of the Summer Vacation Sea Monster." I also have another one simmering in my head entitled, "The Mystery of the Campground Catastrophe."

Dominick: What inspired you to write a story about a backyard treasure?

LP CHASE: When I was a little girl, I had that very same silver and blue tin cigar box from my grandfather. My friend Helen and I would fill it with old keys and special items. One day we buried it in my backyard, ten steps from the fence (just like Elliot). But when we went to dig it up, we couldn't find it - and never did. I used that as an inspiration for the treasure box idea. A little tidbit of information - I also used to collect caterpillars in that box. YUCK!

Dominick: How many books have you written?

LP CHASE: I presently have five published books, and three coming out this year, which makes it eight. However, I have many more stories at home that are looking for a publisher.

Dominick: What is your favorite book you wrote?

LP CHASE: I do love the Elliot Stone series, however, I also adore one story called, "A Color for Katie." It's funny, each story has a special place in my heart, so it's hard to pick a favorite one. I could come up with a reason why each would be my favorite. I love them all.

Dominick: How many illustrators have you used and what were their names?

LP CHASE: Let's see. I think three so far. For the first "Elliot" book, the illustrator is Deborah Cuneo (she is a local, Long Island illustrator). "Today is Tuesday" is illustrated by Vicky Froelich. The illustrator for "The Backyard Treasure" is Kara Elsberry (she did the illustrations for the Ultimate Purple Notebook, too). Kara Elsberry is also working on "Silly Spoon" which will be coming out in February.

Dominick: How long did it take you to write Elliot Stone and the Mystery of the Backyard Treasure?

LP CHASE: It took me quite a few months to develop the idea. I played around with a few scenarios until I came up with one I felt passionate about. Then, I'd say about six months of writing, editing, changing, etc. All in all, the process took about one year.

No comments: