Life Has an Unusual Sense of Humor

Life Has an Unusual Sense of Humor

For a quarter-century, Jim Melvin‘s dreams to be a best-selling author were put on hold- or were they?

(SD) Jim Melvin’s reporter and editor skills significantly expanded his worldview and talents. Talents that come alive in “The Death Wizard Chronicles”.

“When I was a junior in high school,” says Melvin “I boldly decided that I wanted to become a best-selling novelist, and I went around telling everyone I knew that I was going to make $75-million. Keep in mind this was the mid-1970s, so that’s probably around $300-million if you figure in 21st-century inflation. But life has an unusual sense of humor, and for a quarter-century my dreams were put on hold. That said, those 25 years ended up serving a valuable purpose. As a reporter and editor, I learned the craft of writing and met a lot of interesting people. When I finally began writing my epic fantasy series, I realized that work and family weren’t to blame for all those lost years. Instead, I wasn’t ready as a writer. Finally, it all jelled. This is my time.”

When asked who or what had influenced Melvin’s writing he was quick to state “Hands-down, J.R.R. Tolkien influenced me more than anyone. I have read The Lord of the Rings at least 20 times. But in terms of content, my writing is closer to Steven Erikson’s (The Malazan Book of the Fallen series) or Stephen Donaldson’s (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series) than Tolkien’s. We’re not talking Harry Potter here. My series is not for young adults. It contains graphic violence and sexual situations. I pull no punches. If it were made into movies they would be R-rated. All that said, without the inspiration of Tolkien, my series wouldn’t exist. To me, he is an unparalleled genius.”

“The Death Wizard Chronicles” says CEO Tilly Rivers of Rain Publishing, has mass appeal for both male and female readers. Torg is a sexy warrior wizard that women will enjoy, and Laylah, equals his strength, beauty and wisdom. From action fans, to romance and fantasy lovers, this series is a hit for so many”


The Death Wizard Chronicles, books one through four are available at select bookstores near you, or online at www.rainbooks.com & www.amazon.com

No comments: